Pages

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Recovering with a good old chicken curry

Viruses suck don't they? As far as viruses go this isn't that bad, I'm just exhausted and achey but as I was on Mum duty today there as no chance to rest up properly, although I did chill out on a sofa with a peppermint tea whilst my toddler ran riot in a soft play centre this morning. Still, I'm off to bed as soon as I've updated and I'll lick this thing before long. I want to be doing those workouts dammit! Tomorrow is weighing, measuring and KSFL class day, and there's no way I'm missing that.

But in the mean time, back to food! Dinner tonight was a chicken curry made from the breasts from the chicken we roasted yesterday and had the drumsticks and thighs with salad for lunch. I made it up on the spot and it worked out really well. I served it with cauliflower rice which I'd heard rumours about but only tried today. It's great! Just grate half a cauliflower head, mix with a beaten egg and stir fry for a few minutes. It's just the accompaniment a curry like this needs, is a lovely teture and very tasty.


Fancy a go? Feel free to vary the recipe by swapping in a different combination of veg, or a different meat. You also don't need to use pre-cooked chicken, you could add raw chopped chicken breasts in at the initial frying stage instead. It's up to you, but here's what I used.

KSFL Chicken Curry

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 tbs olive/coconut oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1.5 cm root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp mild chilli powder (feel free to use medium or strong if you like more kick)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 courgette, chopped
handful mange tout, halved
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 tin chopped tomatoes
large handful fresh spinach, chopped
2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped

Fry the onion in the oil and add the garlic, ginger and spices. Once the  onion has started to soften add the fresh vegetables, apart from the spinach. Once they are lightly cooked, add the tin of tomatoes, frozen peas, spinach and chicken breasts and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with the wonderful cauliflower rice (or brown rice if you're having a carb day) and devour!

1 comment: