Pages

Wednesday 16 January 2013

KSFL Szechuan Prawns - ending the first week in style

Wow, well today has been a good food day and I have my best recipe yet to share!

But before that, I need to mention something that happened just after I finished my post last night. I took the dog for a quick pre-bed stroll and before I knew what I was doing I'd broken into a spontaneous run! I ran several hundred yards, up a gentle slope before I got a bit puffed and slowed down again. This is not like the 'me' I've been for a long time and it made me very happy to realise my base level of fitness and my energy levels are already at a point where spontaneous running can become 'normal' again. In less than a week. That's impressive!

So, food today was good, which was useful because much of the rest of the day was tricky. I was in full parenting mode with an ill toddler who was very needy and clingy, so having already prepared lunch was very handy.

Breakfast was a chicken, bacon and kale soup made from the stock and leftover meat/veg from the pot roast last night. I fished out the bones (I missed a few little ones so this one isn't so great for kids unless you're very thorough), added some water, some chopped celery, half a bag of kale and three rashers of chopped bacon. Fifteen minutes of simmering and it was good to go, and it was very tasty indeed! After six consecutive egg-based breakfasts it was a welcome change and it really worked.

 
Lunch was the fritatta made the night before from a big pile of leftover veg and a pack of smoked salmon trimmings and dinner was my a major hit. I decided to adapt my usual Szechuan sauce recipe to make it KSFL friendly and boy, did it work a treat! Here's the biggest success of the week so far.
 
KSFL Szechuan Prawn Stir Fry
 
Serves 2


Ingredients

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1cm root ginger, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped (more if you like it hotter)
1 tbs dark soy sauce
1 tbs rice vinegar
1 tbs tomato puree
1 tbs water
2 tbs olive/coconut oil
1 green pepper, finely sliced
Large handful breen beans, trimmed
Large handful mange tout
8 mushrooms, sliced
6 spring onions, sliced
1 pack of raw king prawns, defrosted/chilled
Steamed/bioled sliced white cabbage to serve (optional)

If you are using the cabbage as a side dish, set it off to boil/steam while you make the stir fry.

Combine the garlic, ginger, chilli, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tomatoe puree and water in a small dish and mix well. Put half the oil into a large non-stick frying pan or wok along with half the Szechuan sauce, add the vegetables and stir fry over a high heat until cooked. Serve it out onto warmed plates and then immediately return to the heat. Put the rest of the oil, sauce and all the prawns into the pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the prawns are cooked through. Spoon them over the vegetables along with the remaining sauce and serve alongside the cabbage.

If anything, I liked this better than my normal Szechuan recipe which includes sugar. This was such a win I can't wait to have it again. I'm now going to be on a mission to create KSFL versions of all my regular favourite recipes. Watch this space!

This evening I've already made another batch of burgers ready for tomorrow's lunches and this time I added a large handful of fresh rosemary and thyme from the garden. They smell wonderful so I'll let you now how successful they tomorrow. Tomorrow is weighing, measuring and KSFL workout day. I'm feeling good about it. I'll let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment